Recovery and The Man
Seems like there's not much good coverage of the Man this year. I guess I'm a little spoiled by the coverage the SF Chr0n had last year for the 20 year anniversary of the Burn. I do hope folks get good pictures of this year's large-scale wooden structure "Message of the Future", which sounds amazing.
I did find one article that described recovery groups at the event, something I hadn't previously seen reported on (partially - I'm sure - since it wasn't on my mind previously). Kinda cool that there are three "anonymous" theme camps, and a bunch of meetings each day. Less cool that some participants "shun the religious aspect of AA but use its principles to get through life sober." Unfortunate use of the term religious, and disappointing (though sadly true) to read about those that aren't a part of the most critical aspect of the program. In many ways, being a citizen of BRC for eight years have been among the most spiritual experiences of my life.


2 Comments:
geeksville had a break-off 'anonymous' camp next to us (they arrived late and there wasn't room where they were supposed to camp.) nie fellows. good taste in music. apparently there are two schools of thought (well, probably more, but these were the ones i encountered) about anon. camp: those who HAVE to camp with them because they are 'afraid' to not be completely enveloped by a safe space while there, and those that can camp among the common folk and not worry that they will be led astray. guess i'd never thought about it before either.
*sigh* Those schools of thought don't just exist on the playa... to my dismay, they also exist in broader A.A. I'll post something regarding these schools of thought and my experience visiting with friends this past weekend when I get around to it today.
Post a Comment
<< Home